What’s better than cozying up on your couch on a cold day? Cozying up with a mug of healthy hot cocoa. Or frothy, peppermint-infused coffee. Or soothing turmeric milk. Good news: we’ve got Prescribe Nutrition approved recipes for all three. Making warm winter beverages at home lets you be in control of the ingredients, and you can ditch the refined sugars / pre-packaged powders / other junk that doesn’t do anyone any favors. So consider this an early holiday present from us to you. Enjoy!
Healthy Hot Cocoa
- 1 cup almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add the almond milk and cocoa/cacao to a small saucepan and put over medium heat, whisking to combine. Bring the milk to a simmer and remove from the heat.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients and whisk for an additional 1-2 minutes, alternatively, you can add it to a blender to give it a nice frothy texture. Serve hot in a mug, and if you’re feeling wild, top with some coconut whipped cream.
Creamy Peppermint Coffee
- 1 large mug of brewed coffee (always go organic when possible with coffee!)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa or raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar or maple syrup (depends on how sweet you like coffee
- A few drops of pure peppermint extract
- 1 scoop of collagen (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high for ~ 30 seconds or until there is a thick foam on top.
- Serve immediately, enjoy hot!
- 1¼ cup non-dairy milk, your choice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cardamom or 2 cardamom pods (optional)
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey or pure maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add milk to a small saucepan and whisk in the coconut oil, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and pepper.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in honey/maple syrup and salt until dissolved. Let cool slightly.
- Enjoy as is, or if you want to get fancy, use a milk frother or blend in a high-speed blender for 15 seconds to make it a frothy delight!
Now go get cozy and enjoy your healthy hot cocoa!