Summer is breathing down our necks and we aren’t mad about it. Longer days, BBQ in the air and sunscreen scented clothes are intoxicating and make us want to celebrate the warm sun with friends and family. And with that, we’d like a cold one. These days we’re equally into refreshing drinks that have new and interesting flavor profiles, and summer mocktails or cocktails that have a touch of health sprinkled in. Alcohol or no alcohol, let’s get exploratory with our summer beverages. Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary? Is that trademarked? Probably. Listen, you know what I mean. Let’s all pull out the Brian Flanagan in us and get shaking. If you knew that reference off hand contact me directly, I’d like to be friends.
Our Favorite Summer Mocktails and Cocktails
Thanks to Bon Appetit for inspiring my personal favorite summer cocktail. We adapted the Rosy Gin Kombucha cocktail, which is absolutely in-cred-ib-le. It’s like a riff off a Negroni, but lighter and, you know, with kombucha so you can feel great about it.
Rosy Gin Kombucha Cocktail
- 4 ounces gin [we like Beefeater or a London dry gin here]
- 2 ounces Campari
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 12 ounces original Health-Aide or GT’s kombucha, chilled
- 2 orange twists
- Stir gin, Campari, lemon juice, and ginger in a cocktail mixing glass or large glass.
- Stir in kombucha.
- Pour over a fine mesh sieve (to pull out ginger bits) into glasses filled with ice. Stir well for 30 seconds.
- Garnish with orange twist.
Bloody Mary’s are basically a salad in a glass. OK, I’m pushing it on that one but did you know that they can be a wake up/hangover cure with or WITHOUT the alcohol? In this recipe, we say ditch the mix so you can control exactly what’s going in your concoction. We absolutely love Bloody Mary’s sans alcohol, but make it your own!
Bloody Mary Detox Cocktail or Mocktail
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash of celery seed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Garnish Suggestions: Celery, carrot sticks, green olives, Bubbies pickles, lemon wedge, pepperoncini, cherry peppers, shrimp cocktail, pickled green beans, and wooden spear
- Optional: Vodka
- Place all ingredients (except for garnish) in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If using vodka, do 3 parts bloody mary mix to one part vodka.
- Pour into a glass filled with ice. Stir well for 30 seconds to chill. Garnish and enjoy!
Having a garden party? A baby shower? In-laws in town and need to impress them? Or just bored of ice tea? This is a beautiful concoction that is impressive both with and without alcohol. We’re sharing the Blackberry & Sage Spritzer from The Kitchn.
Blackberry & Sage Spritzer Mocktail or Cocktail
10 Servings (remember, this is your party serving – adjust if you’re not putting in your giant glass beverage dispenser)
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ cup of water
- 3 to 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 pound fresh blackberries
- Sparkling water
- Extra blackberries and sage leaves for garnish (optional)
- Optional: gin or vodka
Check out the directions here on The Kitchn’s site.
Seaside Sprig Cocktail or Mocktail
- 6-8 cucumber slices
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- optional: 4 ounces gin [we like Beefeater or a London dry gin here]
- soda water
- Muddle 2 sprigs (of the 4) cucumber slices in a glass or shaker.
- Add lime juice and gin (if you so choose) and shake.
- Strain and pour over ice.
- Top with soda water and garnish with cucumber and rosemary sprig.
Ladies and gentlemen, there you have it! Our summer mocktails revealed.
Originally posted 2018-08-22 08:43:10.