Looking for a way to use up your summer harvest of tomatoes? The following Tuscan Tomato Skillet recipe from our friends at Cooking Guru is a simple and delicious preparation for brunch bursting with the fresh flavors of summer.
Easily adapted for vegans w/ tempeh bacon and tofu scramble, this is a savory one-pot meal you can make in 30 minutes. Watch the video here or check out the images and directions below.
Tuscan Tomato Skillet
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 slices smoked bacon, (or tempeh bacon) cooked and chopped (optional)
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 large eggs (or tofu)
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian Blend cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, slivered
- Fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly brown (about 3 minutes). Drain off excess oil and add (optional) cooked bacon bits.
- Add chopped tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until they have released their juices, about 4-5 minutes.
- Make 4 wells in the tomato mixture with a spoon and crack an egg into each well. Add a grind or two of fresh pepper. Cover the pan with a glass lid, and simmer until egg whites are firm and yolks are starting to set (about 2 minutes).
- Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese, and cover again to melt.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and scoop onto individual plates. Optional: serve with good quality sliced rustic toast.
- If omitting the bacon, use a couple grinds of sea salt as well as pepper.
- Substitute turkey bacon or meatless bacon bits if desired.
- Replace tomatoes with your favorite salsa.
- Add a few dollops of Pesto.
Images courtesy of Food Guru
Originally posted 2015-05-07 17:18:34.