Planning a trip? Whether traveling by car or plane, our eating routines are often subject to whatever is available at the kiosk or drive-thru. Plan ahead and pack any of the following healthy travel snacks to make sure you’re getting good nutrients while en route this year.
Our Favorite Healthy Travel Snacks
For Road Trips
Whole wheat wraps – these are easy to roll around just about anything or rip & dip; bonus points that they don’t leave crumbs!
Avocado – cut in half and sprinkle with salt and lime juice then consume with a spoon, or scoop out into your whole wheat wrap.
Nut butter – great dip or spread for crackers, wraps, carrots, apples, etc.
Hummus – ditto the above
Roasted sweet potatoes – rich in fiber, sweet and savory, packed with energy, you can eat right out of the skins or wrap in parchment paper and foil with a pat of butter or coconut oil.
On the Plane
Pack any of the following in your carry-on luggage –
- dried fruit
- raw or roasted nuts
- small servings of cheese, e.g. cheddar, gouda, brie
- dark chocolate
- granola bars
- 3oz bottle of extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemons
And then pick up the remaining at the airport –
- fresh fruit, e.g. apple, pear, banana
- veggie sticks, e.g. carrot and celery sticks, broccoli and cauliflower florets
- pre-made salad
A couple other carry-on essentials:
- large scarf/wrap: can double as a blanket on cold flights
- grapefruit seed extract: a powerful immune booster and cold-fighter, you can put 10-15 drops in a glass of orange juice on the plane
Originally posted 2014-01-22 22:11:08.