I kid you not, ladies and gentlemen. This really works.
Last year, I started DIY-ing my lifestyle by making all of our household’s cleaning products and beauty products. I thought, “Being a holistic chef has allowed me to make healthier meals for my loved ones with whole ingredients found in my kitchen. Time to improve our beauty and cleaning routines with the same principles.”
Here is one of those success stories.
Baking Soda Shampoo
- 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda (depending on length of hair)
- ¼-⅓ cup of water
- small jar for mixing
- Spoon the baking soda into the jar. Add the water, seal, and shake.
- Pour in batches over wet hair, beginning at hairline and working in each section with your fingertips.
- Once your entire head has been gently massaged with the baking soda solution, allow to sit for a couple minutes before rinsing out.
- Follow up with conditioner or apple cider vinegar rinse.
Since starting this routine, my hair has been softer, has more volume, stays oil-free for longer and holds its style longer, although since it’s improved the natural texture of my hair, I style it about ⅓ as often as I used to.
People stop me at cafes and clothing stores to ask what my secret is. Naturally, they’re shocked when I credit baking soda and not expensive designer products.
Try it. Report back. And if you love it, treat yourself to something beautiful with all the money you save from replacing $20+ bottles of shampoo with $2 boxes of baking soda.
*Due to concern over the high alkalinity of baking soda and potential weakening of hair, this treatment is not recommended for daily or regular use. We’ve been using it as a clarifying treatment, and fortunately, this has been working wonders for us. However, this is not recommended for color-treated hair. We’ll keep you updated if anything changes!
Originally posted 2015-02-17 14:09:32.