Avocados offer significant amounts of over 20 different nutrients, putting them in the category of a superfood. They prevent blood clotting and regulate heart disease, help cellular growth and the immune system, reduce cholesterol. Avocados are also incredible for healthy skin, hair and eyes. Avocados also help with weight loss and the fiber aids digestion. Avocado and cacao not only compliment one another but provide a wide range of health benefits. Try these Healthy Chocolate Avocado Truffles, you’ll be amazed at how quickly they get eaten. But remember, everything in moderation!
Healthy Chocolate Avocado Truffles
Yields 12-15 truffles
- 10 oz. dark chocolate with more than 60% cacao (we like Equal Exchange’s Bittersweet Chocolate Chips)
- 1 avocado (try Organic and Fair Trade)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Dried unsweetened coconut flakes, for coating (you may substitute cocoa powder or crumbled nuts)
- Using a double boiler on medium heat, combine the chocolate, vanilla extract and sea salt. (We used an oven-safe bowl over a saucepan). Stir until all of the chocolate is melted.
- In a separate bowl, mash or whip the avocado until completely smooth. Transfer into the bowl with the melted chocolate and stir until well blended.
- Place bowl in refrigerator for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly firm to the touch.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out chocolate with a tablespoon and roll between your palms into a ball. Place ball on baking sheet, leaving space between each truffle. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture. Warning: This may get messy!
- Place baking sheet in refrigerator for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pour coconut flakes into a small bowl.
- Remove truffles from fridge and roll in coconut flakes to coat, until completely covered.
- Serve at room temperature. You may store these for up to 7 days in your refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Vicki Bensinger
Originally posted 2018-06-18 12:56:51.