The weather is cooling down and the holidays are around the corner. Warm up around the fire or get in the holiday spirit with this classic mulled wine recipe using Frey Vineyards’ biodynamic, organic wine. Salud!
Spiced Wine Pack
- 4 organic whole nutmeg
- ½ cup organic cardamom pods
- ½ cup organic cinnamon chips (sweet)
- ¼ cup dried organic orange peel
- ¼ cup dried organic lemon peel
- ¼ cup organic dried ginger root
- ¼ cup organic whole cloves
- ¼ cup organic whole allspice berries
- 2 organic vanilla beans
- organic star anise, whole pods (optional)
- organic cinnamon sticks (sweet)
- Put nutmeg and cardamom pods in a thick plastic or cloth bag and whack with a mallet or heavy rolling pin to break into pieces.
- Put nutmeg and cardamom pieces in a bowl and add the cinnamon chips, ginger root, orange and lemon peel, allspice berries, and cloves.
- Scrape the inside of the vanilla beans and add to spice mixture (you can save the vanilla pods for homemade vanilla extract or to infuse sugar or honey.) This makes about 2 ½ cups, enough mulling spices for several recipes.
- You can put about ¼ cup in a cotton drawstring bag.
- Toss in 1-2 star anise pods per bag, if you’d like.
- Suspend the cinched bag in the wine, cider, or punch.
- We like to toss in a couple of whole cinnamon sticks too for flavor, and because we love the way it looks simmering in the pan.
Classic Mulled Wine Recipe
- 1 bottle Frey Biodynamic Zinfandel
- ½ cup fresh Apple Cider
- 1 bag mulling spices (above)
- ½ cup Frey Dessertage
- Pour Frey Biodynamic Zinfandel and Apple Cider in a large saucepan.
- Toss in mulling spices and extra cinnamon sticks, if desired.
- Heat slowly over medium heat until steaming and little bubbles form around the edges (pre-boil.)
- Turn down heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Remove lid, remove mulling spice bag, and add Frey Dessertage. Stir well. Garnish with a slice of orange and a cinnamon stick.
Recipe and Image Courtesy of Frey Vineyards.